Too Much of a Good Thing

For those who are not registered who wish to leave us a note

Have your blood results have changed from following the SBD?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:21 pm

My glucose and cholesterol are lower.
33%
My glucose and cholestero are higher.
33%
My glucose in higher but my cholesterol is lower.
No votes
My glucose is lower but my cholesterol is higher.
No votes
I have no medical issues.
No votes
I have not have blood work recently.
33%
Cholesterol and glucose are not my issues
No votes
Only cholesterol is my issue.
No votes
Only glucose is my issue.
No votes
None of the above.
No votes

Total votes: 3

ami
South Beach Newbie
Healthy Plan Start Date: 23 Aug 2003

Too Much of a Good Thing

Post by ami » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:21 pm

I just want to share with you my recent experience.
As many of you know, I have been following the SBD since 2003 and I though I was eating right and also exercising at least 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

This month was time for my year physical. My mammogram and pap smear came normal, but what would be my surprise when my doctor informed me that my total cholesterol (234) are unacceptable and that my fasting glucose is also high (106), placing me for a high risk of diabetes; I got what used to be called pre-diabetes or impaired fasting glucose.

My doctor proceeded to give me a diet plan and 2 lists of what to eat and what to avoid, one for lower my cholesterol, the other for lower my glucose and he suggested 1,500 calories per day. I have not been counting calories for years and I don’t think I’m going to start now.

After a close look at both lists I came to the realization I have been “stretching” the SBD guidelines. My serving of nuts have been larger than the ¼ cup suggested and a lot of times I was eating peanut butter as it was going out of style! That along probably contributed to my high cholesterol.
On the sugar side, I have been eating more than frequently pumpkin for example. I made pumpkin bread, even thou it was made with Splenda and whole-wheat, I ate it almost all by myself! I was also eating more than 3 serving of other fruits, plus some nuts covered with dark chocolate.
After closer inspection of my new list of allowed foods I discovered that my “eyes” are much bigger than the suggested serving size. I have now to measure everything and eat the portion showing in this list. ½ cup of anything looks quit small to me now!
I just want that my experience help you as an eye opener!
If you are over 40 and have any of the diabetes risk, you need to get check for glucose next time you visit your doctor; same thing goes for cholesterol. You can start with an in-office simple test and if the result is out of range then you need a complete fasting test.
Even though the SBD says that we don’t need to measure almost anything, I suggest you do measure your food to learn how ½ cup of anything really looks like, or how many nuts you can have for snack.
With the Holidays approaching, we all need to be on the alert for healthy choices.
Have a happy, healthy and whole Thanksgivings.
Hugs,
Ami in OH

Return to “Public Postings”