Never buy an LG appliance -but Best Buy is AWESOME!

For everyday non-beach stuff
peacefulpath
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 27 Dec 2007
Weight Record: 220/182.6/150

Never buy an LG appliance -but Best Buy is AWESOME!

Post by peacefulpath » Fri May 22, 2009 6:15 pm

Just thought I'd pass along my experience with LG's customer service department. The following is a letter I sent to their PR dept. online. Buyer beware!
I am writing to inform you that I will NEVER again buy another LG product, based on the horrible customer service I have experienced. We purchased an LG side-by-side refrigerator (LSC27931ST) from Best Buy on 11/30/08, and it was delivered the first week in December, 2008. This week, the vegetable crisper drawer front snapped off, leaving a jagged chunk of plastic broken from the side. I contacted the customer support on this website, and was directed to call the toll-free number.

The CSR was less than helpful, insisting that there was a sticker with a serial # on the inside of our unit, when there was none. I registered this refrigerator online after delivery, using the information on the back of the refrigerator (which is clearly stated on page 3 of the owner's manual). The registration went through with no problem, and coincidentally, we received an extended warranty notice from LG on this unit this week. After going back and forth (and spending extraordinarily long periods of time on hold), I demanded to speak to a manager. After another extended period of time (at least 15 minutes) on hold, the supervisor informed me that without the serial #, she would not be able to help me, and that since there was no sticker INSIDE the unit, Best Buy had sold us a refurbished unit and it was THEIR responsibility. The supervisor was rude, condescending, and frankly, has no business being in that position. I informed her that we would not only never purchase LG products again, but that we would inform all of our friends and family of our experience.

We returned to Best Buy today to see if there was any way we could at least locate this so-called sticker inside the refrigerator, and the salesperson who sold us the unit pulled up our information on her computer. She showed us the exact model we purchased on display, and showed us where the sticker is located. There is NOTHING in our unit. She also was flabbergasted that LG's customer service would make a claim that they (Best Buy) would sell a refurbished product. I can assure you that the refrigerator arrived in all the original packing materials.

Suffice it to say, this professional, courteous young woman removed the drawer from the floor model and GAVE it to us to take home in order to keep us as a customer. While that does eliminate the problem of having a broken drawer, we are still in the position of not knowing what the serial # is on our unit, if indeed the # on the back of the refrigerator is not correct. And if it is not, then how was I able to register it online?

I can assure you, I have already begun contacting friends and family regarding our experience with your "customer service hell". In this economy, with people cutting back and spending money only when absolutely necessary, people appreciate knowing before making a major purchase if they will be getting a good quality product AND a reliable customer service department to back it up. You really should not antagonize customers this way.......the Internet is a very valuable tool for we "little people" to get our horrible experiences with your customer service representatives advertised to the buying public.
"People rarely succeed at anything unless they have fun doing it." anonymous

ladybugnessa
Site Admin
Healthy Plan Start Date: 29 Dec 2013
Weight Record: 286/169/148

Re: Never buy an LG appliance -but Best Buy is AWESOME!

Post by ladybugnessa » Fri May 22, 2009 6:18 pm

thanks for sharing this! glad you got it fixed. I really love best buy... if the fridge has wheels just pull it out and check the back... then you can figure out what the SN is...
Nessa

We come to love not by finding a perfect person,
but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.

peacefulpath
South Beach Superstar

Post by peacefulpath » Fri May 22, 2009 7:22 pm

Nessa, that's what I did when I registered it online. It went through with no problem. Their customer service rep AND supervisor insisted that was NOT the SN and that without the correct #, they would not help me. And insisted it wasn't their problem, that BB had sold me a refurbished unit and removed the actual SN sticker inside the unit. The floor model at BB DID have a sticker inside the unit where they said it was, and there was NOTHING in ours. It's kind of hard to miss, and is not something that can be removed without scratching up the interior.

I've since come to find by researching online that LG has quite a lousy reputation for their customer service. If only I had done my research ahead of time............. No way would I want to chance that, even if the product is highly recommended. And........apparently LG's products have all kinds of problems. And no customer service to back it up. And, a reputation for trying to pin the blame on the retailer.

Scarlette
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 06 Apr 2004
Weight Record: 215/153/139

Post by Scarlette » Sun May 24, 2009 11:37 am

Hi Peaceful,

I had the SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE!!! Seriously, I have never been so mad, or treated so rudely by a customer service rep in my life! To make a very long and frustrating story short: The fridge we got died the day after we bought it, and we lost all of our food! LG customer service was horrible, but we finally got a service guy to come out and replace the motor and fix it, 5 days later the water in the door starting squirting water all over the place every time you tried to use it, then the whole fridge started leaking water all over my floor. Had to call those horrible people at LG customer svc again. They were horrible again, didn't want to honor the warranty, said calls had to be place within 48 hours of purchase, we called within less than 24, and this was the 2nd and 3rd problem in less than a week. After much conversation, and rudeness on their part, as well as a flat out refusal to allow me to speak to a supervisor, and Home Depot's manager even calling them for me, we all gave up, and Home Depot took the fridge back for me. The wonderful folks at Home Depot had great customer service, and even gave me a gift card for my trouble. Unfortunately I had bought the fridge on sale, and the sale was over when i had to shop for a replacement, so I ended up having to spend several hundred dollars more for my new and WONDERFUL GE fridge.

I will never buy LG again! And I have told everyone I know about my horrible experience with them. That company is a JOKE!
New start Jan 2009
180/153/139

peacefulpath
South Beach Superstar

Post by peacefulpath » Sun May 24, 2009 1:15 pm

Scarlette, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, as I delve into this more, I find there are far too many of these experiences plastered on the Internet. I only wish I had done my homework BEFORE buying the fridge. Thus far (she said while typing with fingers crossed) the only issue has been with the plastic snapping - nothing mechanical. I live in fear that this may yet happen now. We don't do extended warranties, but I'm wondering if we should. Then again, if they won't honor it, then what's the point?

I'll keep everyone posted on what, if any, response I get back from LG on my letter.

Scarlette
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 06 Apr 2004
Weight Record: 215/153/139

Post by Scarlette » Sun May 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Sometimes you can get independent warranties, and maintainence plans from outside companies. I'd go for one of those instead. I'm very interested to hear what reply you get, they said they were going to reimburse me for my lost food, finally I got tired of calling on that and faxing documents they said they never recieved, and just gave up.
New start Jan 2009
180/153/139

Return to “Chit Chat”