For everyday non-beach stuff
StumpsMom
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 09 Feb 2008

Re: What's YOUR profession?

Post by StumpsMom » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:48 pm

What do you do? I am an addictions therapist

Who do you work for? I work for a non-profit outpatient addictions clinic

How long have you done it? 3 years at this place, before that I worked on a First Nations reserve

Where is your job located? Outside of Vancouver, BC, Canada
~Nicole~
223/153/145

Sun Sun
I MET MY GOAL!
Healthy Plan Start Date: 07 Jul 2007
Weight Record: 217/165/165

Post by Sun Sun » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:35 am

I stay home to help my husband, who has cerebral palsy. He can do a lot of things himself, but there are things he needs help with or can't do at all.
At one point I was working, but found that working and taking care of him was too hard on me.
Medicaid doesn't pay me for what I do (they don't pay spouses for being caregivers), so I guess you'd say I'm a volunteer CNA that does in- home care.
My aunt has MS, and watching our family take care of her is so wonderful to see, though sad as well. I think you are a wonderful person for doing all you do...your husband is very lucky to have a wife like you. :angel:
Starting Weight: 217
Current weight: 162!!!
Goal Weight: 165
2nd Goal Weight: 155
I made my goal!!!! August 11, 2008!

rhales199
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 14 Oct 2006
Weight Record: 289/220/180

Post by rhales199 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:57 am

Sun Sun wrote:
I stay home to help my husband, who has cerebral palsy. He can do a lot of things himself, but there are things he needs help with or can't do at all.
At one point I was working, but found that working and taking care of him was too hard on me.
Medicaid doesn't pay me for what I do (they don't pay spouses for being caregivers), so I guess you'd say I'm a volunteer CNA that does in- home care.
Thank You.

My aunt has MS, and watching our family take care of her is so wonderful to see, though sad as well. I think you are a wonderful person for doing all you do...your husband is very lucky to have a wife like you. :angel:
If life weren't hard, it wouldn't be worth it!
my journal

Arix
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 01 Feb 2008
Weight Record: 130/120/110

Post by Arix » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:57 pm

Sun Sun wrote:It has its moments...I love how movies glorify the Agencies and Im like WTF? We definetly are not as cool as the actors you see on tv!!
EVERYTHING is glorified on TV :devil:
Treasure time and savor taste. Visit my Blog!
Image_

JSCsmom
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 13 Nov 2008

Post by JSCsmom » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:34 am

Let's see, what do I do...?

For starters, I too am an IT professional. I mainly take care of desktop and software support for a wireless company's call center. At least, that's what pays the bills this week. Our company was recently purchased, and I don't know how much longer I will have a job, but I have been here nearly 8 years.

I also have a nursing license... I was an LPN for 10 years at an extended care facility. I miss the patient end of it, but not the administrative BS...

I was a veterinary technician before I was a nurse... The one job I would go back to in a heartbeat! Well, I guess I kind of have, since I am now an alpaca owner and breeder!

And, I am a wife and mom of 3...

And as of yesterday, I am an experienced juror! The toughtest job of all...
Connie :knitting:

:muffin1: =10 lb lost :muffin1: :muffin1: :muffin1: :muffin1: :muffin1:

rhales199
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 14 Oct 2006
Weight Record: 289/220/180

Post by rhales199 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:50 am

JSCsmom wrote: And as of yesterday, I am an experienced juror! The toughtest job of all...
Juror-- bTDT, never really want to do it again! (I served on a 6 week jury... thank heaven we weren't sequestered... that would have been horrible...)
If life weren't hard, it wouldn't be worth it!
my journal

ctouchton
South Beach Professional
Healthy Plan Start Date: 22 Jan 2008
Weight Record: 190/220/120

Post by ctouchton » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:54 am

nobody wants a former correctional officer on a jury, so I guess I'm lucky
Heaviest Weight, Current Weight, Goal Weight

Archived Journal
Archived Journal

Doc
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 01 Jan 2006
Weight Record: 137/120/108

Post by Doc » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:11 pm

ctouchton wrote:nobody wants a former correctional officer on a jury, so I guess I'm lucky
I'm thinking I'm fairly safe as well. Who wants a psychologist on a jury? Too bad, though - I'd love to see the process someday. It's interesting how people formulate judgments and deal with conflicting evidence.

5'2", 41 year-old professional and mother of three

Well-behaved women seldom make history.

Scarlett46
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 04 Jun 2007
Weight Record: 179/153/135

Post by Scarlett46 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:53 pm

What do you do? Explain it if you can...
Well... I am yet another IT Professional. I handle the desktop & software support for an automotive & industrial distribution commpany. Although I have not completely shed my Administrative Assistant clothes quite yet, as I started out there as the assistant to the president.

How long have you done it?
I've worked for this company for a little over 3 years, although have been integrating the IT stuff into previous jobs for the past about 7 or so years.

Where is your job located?
Flint, Michigan
Scarlett's FiddleDeeDee
Scarlett's Give A Damn
Hip To Be Square?

Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it's no worse than it is.
-GWTW

lindy87
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 07 Oct 2005

Post by lindy87 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:38 am

I am an electronic copy editor and I have worked for The American Institute of Physics on Long Island (NY) for almost 10 years now. Basically, I edit manuscripts from scientists all over the world and make sure that they make sense in English, which is sometimes a challenge, and make sure that the articles are styled correctly because each journal is different. It is great because I work from home and get to make hours whenever I want so I spend lots of time with my kids. The one downfall is that I usually work 7 days a week, sometimes only a few hours, but it is always there and never goes away (and the pay is not great, but I am at home so that is the plus). It sound impressive to people that I work for AIP, but I know nothing about science. As my friend likes to say, "I am not a rocket scientist, but I edit their papers."

catwoman
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 22 Sep 2004

Post by catwoman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:36 am

lindy87 wrote:The one downfall is that I usually work 7 days a week, sometimes only a few hours, but it is always there and never goes away (and the pay is not great, but I am at home so that is the plus).
That is so true Lindy. I'm here on a Sunday morning - working.

AleciaBneedstobefreed
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 24 Sep 2005
Weight Record: 225/151/170

Post by AleciaBneedstobefreed » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Doc wrote:
ctouchton wrote:nobody wants a former correctional officer on a jury, so I guess I'm lucky
I'm thinking I'm fairly safe as well. Who wants a psychologist on a jury? Too bad, though - I'd love to see the process someday. It's interesting how people formulate judgments and deal with conflicting evidence.
Doc, I think you'd find that people are just a bunch of self centered hippocrites. I served and I was so disgusted i could have screamed. I couldn't believe the way people acted. They thought that being on that jury all the sudden made them God and they brought out there bad side. One person has this belief and another has that belief. I just asked everyone if they really thought that this should have anything to do with how they believe it should be. It was about law. I think it would be interesting for anyone, but in a strange way.
Sustain me, Lord, when I am tempted to give up.

JSCsmom
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 13 Nov 2008

Post by JSCsmom » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:43 am

I think it was very interesting serving on the jury. I think we had a good group of people, 10 of which had never served on a jury before. The judge spoke to us afterward, and said that he was very impressed with how we handled things. It was a tough case to "cut our teeth on", and he said that he appreciated the fact that every time he looked at us, we were paying attention, and did our best to separate emotions from facts and the law. He also said that he would have returned the same verdict, sp that helped a little.

The whole process was very interesting, and we had a lot of speculation as to why "Juror Number 6" was dismissed, and not "Juror Number 12", but some of them were easy to figure out... Like the corrections officer, whose sister was a victim of rape... I would probably do it again' given the chance, but it was a very long and stressful week.
Connie :knitting:

:muffin1: =10 lb lost :muffin1: :muffin1: :muffin1: :muffin1: :muffin1:

raynjen
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 12 Nov 2014
Weight Record: I have not recorded my weight.

Post by raynjen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:56 pm

Currently, I am an "Administrative Coordinator" at a private university in the SF Bay Area, and I've been working here for a little over a year. I'm not sure what I coordinate (the office, maybe?), but I spend my days answering emails/phone calls, and also oversee the card access program on campus (that's my favorite part of my job!). It's a perfect job for me as I am in graduate school working on my Masters in Counseling Psychology here at the university, so free tuition and no drive to school after work! Its a 8-5 M-F job that I never have to think about when I am not here, which I love. After graduating, I will be preparing for my MFT license, and want to work in the field of end of life care/terminal illness or with adolescents. Not sure yet, but I have some time still!

Punkinsmom
South Beach Newbie
Healthy Plan Start Date: 29 Oct 2007

Post by Punkinsmom » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:14 pm

Wow! Our board has some very distinguished (sp?) people on it. And some of you are so giving of your time. Mine is not so nearly exciting, as I am now a school bus driver for special needs kids.

My former life was 30 years as a buyer for IBM. I have worked government contracts with them while located in Boulder, Colorado, Boca Raton, Florida, and Manassas, VA. I retired upon our return to Boulder. My most exiting time was while in Boulder the last time, we supported the Air Force during the first Desert Storm, when I was buying software and satellite photography!

We retired and are now living in the western part of Colorado and both my husband and I do the driving, both of us for special needs children.

I have a kitty named "Punkin"; thus my name: Punkinsmom.

Rushsmom
South Beach Newbie
Healthy Plan Start Date: 06 Apr 2004

Post by Rushsmom » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:52 pm

I've been a Registered Nurse for > 30 yrs (I'm old). I've done many things in that time- from nursing homes, to pediatric oncology, to inpatient pediatrics, and regular med-surg. I'm currently a nurse case manager, working from my home. I do telephonic case management for self insured companies across America. I'm to be a patient advocate, provide patient education, arrange any necessary outpatient services, approve or deny services (both hospital stays and outpatient services). It's very busy, the work is never close to being done, but it's usually interesting.

I work with my critters by my side, in my sweats or jeans. I can eat well (healthy) because my kitchen is close by. I love working from home! I'm accountable, and have billable hours, but it's the next best thing to being retired. :hurray:

Jadzia
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 01 Jul 2007

Post by Jadzia » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Most people are not familiar with my field, but here it is : I'm an actuary (actually, an analyst for an actuarial consulting firm). I do work related to Pensions Plans.

ktbutrfly
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 27 Jun 2005
Weight Record: 170/123/130

Post by ktbutrfly » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:37 pm

Sun Sun my dad is a special agent with the FBI and has been for the last 24 years. He will retire next June after 25 years of service. How cool that you can speak Farsi. I know a handful of people that can and its really neat. I can definitely attest to the fact that its not as glamorous as its made out to be!!
Katie - 5'4 26/F
mommy to Tyler born 10/19/10 and :pregnant:
"For years I exercised to be thinner. When I finally started working out to be healthier, I saw a transformation." Judy Reyes
This is my year!

mom42
South Beach Friend

Post by mom42 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 pm

What is my profession?
I am a Certified Medical Assistant (difference in a non-certified medical assistant? The money)

How long have I been doing it?
I've been certified for 21 years, but I have been actively working as a CMA for a total of 12 years. My other jobs were Stay-At-Home Mom and Medical Transcriptionist while at home with the kids. I became a Medical Assistant when Medical Assisting was brand new and called The New Health Professional. The school I recieved my training from was one of the very first Medical Assisting school in Birmingham, Alabama. It is no longer in operation. Everything that is done in the medical office today, I learned how to do manually, including lab tests, Peg board-system book-keeping, and using an IBM Selectric II Type Writer to write letters. Needless to say, I have a few tricks up my sleeve sometimes when the new way of doing things doesn't work. Did I mention I use to do xrays when you had to mix and use chemicals, and use a manual timer for developing, and even had to take the patient's weight and thickness in account when manually setting the dial on the xray machine that controls the amount of radiation being emitted?

Where is my job located?
My current job is located in Alabaster, Alabama in a Family Medicine Practice. I still do Medical Transcription on the side on an on call basis. For instance, when a physician's transcriptionist is on vacation, or out for other reasons, or if the office is in between transcriptionists. Also, if the transcriptionist's work load is too great and the notes are behind.
Not to take anything away from LPNs, but I pretty much do it all, including phlebotomy and starting I.V.'s. MA's are specifically for the medical office. That's where CMA's and LPN's differ greatly. The hospital is whole different world to me. God Bless LPNs Love Ya!

I know I'm long-winded or in this case given my administrative training, a little "over-keyed!"
Angela
STW w/SB 258lbs, lost to 238lbs...gained back up to 262lbs
Blog site: http://myspacecomangelapcartemyspacec.blogspot.com/
Mom42-New Journey
viewtopic.php?t=287Journal/clickhere[url]

fab51
South Beach Superstar
Weight Record: 0

Post by fab51 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:24 am

I just read this thread and I have to post now. Jadzia -- what do you think the is the probability of having two actuaries on this board???

What is my profession?
I'm an actuary...working on a health plan for state employees. I analyze health care cost trends, project future costs, develop premuim rates, analyze the impact of changes to benefit plans, develop reimbursement rates for doctors, hospitals, and other medical providers, participate in contract negotiations with providers, track and project administrative expenses.

how long have I been doing it?
I've been in the profession for 31 years. I started at a large insurance company in 1977, and finished my actuarial exams in 1981 (you get the professional credential...fellow in the society of actuaries... by passing a series of pretty challenging exams over a several year period). I've since worked for a couple of smaller insurance companies, and spent several years at a consulting firm, working with employers on their benefit plans. I've been at my current job for 11 years.

Overall, it's been a good experience, but I've always felt torn between what I'm doing and the social service world...I've done a good bit of volunteering in the past, and I just decided to leave my job and profession to take a break and explore this other part of me.

Where is my job located?
In the Boston suburbs
Eating predictably and well.

mom42
South Beach Friend

Post by mom42 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:36 am

Fab51, That is soooo cool! I was just talking to my DD a few days ago about being an Actuary. I think it is such interesting work! Tell me, besides the exams taken over a period of years, what is the educational requirement and length of time it takes to become one?
Angela
Mom42-New Journey

Jadzia
South Beach Friend
Healthy Plan Start Date: 01 Jul 2007

Post by Jadzia » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Wow ! 2 actuaries, plus one interested, I didn't expected that !

Fab51 : That's great ! Always nice to see someone who has been through all the exams... I'm having one in 2 weeks, hopefully I'll pass, but I'm quite stressed !!!

Mom42 : In the US (Fab51, correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm Canadian !), usually employer would want you to have a degree (in maths or related topic), but I don't think it is required.

The main requirement is the actuarial exams : if you get the first 2-4 exams, you should be able to find a job in the business... especially in the health benefit field, given your experience.

If you're interested, I would suggest you to go look at the following site :
http://www.soa.org (Society of Actuaries)
http://www.actuary.ca

The 2nd link is a forum on actuarial subjects. You could probably have a lot of info there, from the exams, to the employment situation in your region.

Good luck !

mom42
South Beach Friend

Post by mom42 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Oh Snap! (that's means Alright!)

My DD is 15, and has the highest math grade in her 9th grade class, as well as the highest GPA of the entire freshmen student body in her high school (1,500 students). She has not clue what she is interested in. I mentioned being an Actuary because of her abilities in Mathematics & Science. She has recieved several invitations to attend all kinds of work shops and summer programs by different companies for students that might be interested in a career in business. She's not (as of yet). But she loves math, and figuring things out. So I was thinking of something that her math skills could be used.

Thanks for the sites! I'm going to check them out.
Angela
Mom42-New Journey

yellobeuty
South Beach Superstar

Post by yellobeuty » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:23 pm

WOW Sun Sun that's awesome! FBI...My DD would love to work for them or the CIA. she probably has a glamorized version of it though. :)

in my former life I was...in banking...loans, accounting, and asset based lending (business loans)

then I was a domestic engineer (stay at home mom) with a husband, and 2 young children and a home to keep running smoothly :) Teaching life skills, Organizing and implementing schedules, homeschooling, and general house duties! LOL I supplemented this with being an office manager for a non-profit organization (can you say church).

then I was a teacher in a small Christian private school.

then I went back to being a domestic engineer and supplemented that income (HA) with being the director of an after-school program and office manager of a non-profit Organization (can you say church)

Then I became a Youth Pastor and still maintained my domestic engineer job and office manager position.

Held a job at a news paper in the classified marketing dept for a while.

right now I am only doing the domestic engineer job. :)

the most rewarding by far is the domestic engineer job...but other than that I really love the office environment and working with YOUTH!

My largest youth position was one of 17 boys and 3 girls in an inter-city environment. We had all kinds, some from good homes and some from gangs etc. exciting, sad at times, but rewarding.
Forever Hopeful
mini goal to be 240
I have less then 100lbs to lose!!!
goal weight 155

food wasted is never as bad as a life wasted by food!

Scarlett46
South Beach Superstar
Healthy Plan Start Date: 04 Jun 2007
Weight Record: 179/153/135

Post by Scarlett46 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:54 pm

OK... so I posted my "real job"... but I totally spaced on mentioning my other job... The fun one...

In my "spare time" DH and I are both paid/on call firefighters :fireman: and medical first responders (he's an EMT-B) for our township.

We both love it... but it's funny, we found different niches ending up being our favorite parts of the job.
The firefighting is my favorite part (although I enjoy the medical, I have a difficult time *shy* speaking to a patient).
The medical is his favorite part, and he's REALLY good at it. So much so that he's considering nursing school. He would prefer to run the pump than to pack up and go inside.
Scarlett's FiddleDeeDee
Scarlett's Give A Damn
Hip To Be Square?

Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it's no worse than it is.
-GWTW

Return to “Chit Chat”